Book Angel was founded in 2013 by Kathy Davis. As a kindergarten teacher, she realized that everyone isn’t starting off on the same page. Kids scored at 38% for initial testing which means that A lot of hard work was required to get them to the level where they should be. Parents and the education system are not taking it serious how far behind children are when entering school – simple instructions like answering to their name is sometimes a challenge.
Book Angel was created to address this lack in early age literacy. Through reading programs, book carnivals, after school programs and other literacy focused programs Kathy wants to tackle the problem head on.
Ms. Kathy is a reading specialist. Classroom teacher of Kindergarten and First grade students in Fort Worth ISD. As a classroom teacher she saw how children struggled. Reading was hard for Kathy as a child and when schools became integrated she got lost in the shuffle. She was a good student and made good grades, but wasn’t quite getting it. She realized by the time she got to college that she had a reading problem. After college she had a cleaner’s business and heard a calling from God to teach her children. She signed up to substitute teach and realized that they had a need for teachers seeing as how her voice mail box stayed full with substitute teaching requests. She realized she had the natural art of teaching – her professor agreed that she only needed the scientific aspect. She commanded a room – if she said to sit down and be quiet, that is what the children did. She has no clue how she does it – tone, delivery, etc. – still, the kids Loved her. She knew that kids took what she delivered in Love – it was a love kind of fuss and they listened because she cared. Teaching the children about their history played a huge role. She kept getting long term assignments because partly because she was able to pull the best of the children she taught – it truly was a natural instinct. She has a degree in business and a Master’s in teaching. She ended up specializing in reading although she loved math and physical education. She kept gravitating towards reading courses to help the students that she was substituting for, so she knew this was the direction she was meant to go in.
Thinking as a single mother what she wanted for her children, she wanted that for all children. Mediocracy would not be tolerated – she consistently raised the bar and worked hard to help her children and those she taught to get there. Her goal was always to have 90% of her students to hit the raised bar, the other 10% would be at the level they should be at. She consistently had kindergarten and first grade children coming out of her class reading 2 and 3 levels beyond their grade. She is the author of a book – “Stop Retarding Your Child! – Over 25 ways to stop hindering your child, and straightforward solutions to help them function properly in the classroom and in life”.
Ms. Kathy knew that teaching was a calling on her life, not just a job. She has not been afraid to stand up and fight for what she could not stand for with the system. Everyone does not learn at the same level – she wants to help children to have a true head start. Seeing families and homes where everyone in the home is illiterate is what keeps her passionate. Her grandmother used to tell her – go ahead and be what you want to be – when you go through that door, you reach back and grab that others. This is what she was taught and what she lives by.